Do you get bloated or sluggish feeling during the day?
That’s an indication. Your body has enough of toxins, it’s time to Naturally Detoxify!
We tend to work really hard which is why we need energy boost and for that we turn to quick pick-me-up options like sugary drinks, causing more harm than any good.
Previously, most of us assumed that toxins develop due to our bad habits like smoking, eating too much of fast food etc. but people started understanding what toxins and detoxification actually meant.
Sometimes, they were derived because of their religious beliefs like fasting and some following cleansing as a spiritual virtue.
We consume toxins from air, water, food and surrounding environment which are major playing factors in destroying body organs. Different natural detox methods for waste excretion organs are: oxygen colon cleanse, candida cleanse, liver cleanse and more.
One crucial pointer here is, no matter how actively you follow detoxification, it won’t work if you keep putting toxins inside your body.
Hence, don’t go for dairy products, caffeine, soy, peanuts, chocolate, non-whole grain starches, sugars, fast or refined foods, MSG etc.
This Article Contains:
- What is Natural Detox
- Importance and Benefits of Detox
- Methods for Natural Detox
- Simple to Follow Diet Plan
- Best Drinks for Detox
- Natural Detox Recipes
What is Natural Detox?
Purifying human blood from toxins using natural methods. Nourishing, resting and cleansing are the three main processes involved in detoxification. First off, remove body toxins and then nourish your body with healthy food items primarily fruits and vegetables.
After knowing the concept of natural detox, very next question that comes to mind is how does detoxification works? The impurities in the blood removed through specific organs like liver, lungs, intestines, kidneys and oh yeah lymphatic system & skin do perform their part.
Stimulating liver so that it could extract toxins out of body, resting body organs by fasting, improving blood circulation and inducting healthy nutrient in daily diet are viable workable means too.
In a string of questions, how could we know if we need to detoxify?
These days, we inhale & eat a good number of toxins so it must be the core practice. Once a year is recommended by the health physicians but caution for nursing mothers, people with chronic diseases like Cancer & Tuberculosis suggested. Do consult your healthcare practitioner if you have questions.
Following ‘symptoms’ gives us the indication that we should get into the process of detoxification:
- Menstrual cycle problems
- Allergic reactions
- Redness/ irritated skin
- Bags under eyes or puffy eyes
Importance & Benefits of Detox
Detox is a lifestyle in itself which protects body from diseases and strengthens immunity. Our society is sicker than ever though there are a lot of medical advancements in the loop.
Buildup of toxins in our bodies upsets thyroid hormones as a result, we gain weight. Moreover, our fat cell is where toxins accumulate, again which contributes towards gaining weight.
Clearly, our body toxins affect the function and structure of body cells causing, digestion issues like constipation, bloating, diarrhea, migraines, sclerosis & lupus, premature aging, food allergies, aches and body pains etc.
Many of us suffer from the above-stated symptoms or health problems and the best solution is natural detox. Types of detoxifying protocols vary but it’s important to find the one that works for you.
Major Health Benefits
1. Energy boost, better be able to cope stress
Adrenal fatigue due to alcohol, refined food, caffeine, sugar would be eliminated as then you won’t be consuming such items. Nutrients in green smoothies, organic juices and meditative breathing will nourish and cope up with your adrenal glands really well. Therefore, healthy adrenals are directly proportional to healthy dealing with life.
2. Get rid of excessive body waste
One of the primary goals of detox is to cleanse the body from excessive waste which has been stored for long. Most detox programs help body to stimulate the live or other body organs to do the process themselves. Sticking with the diet plan of detox is even more beneficial, so don’t lose focus on vegetables and fruits.
3. Weight loss
People opt for detox only because they want to look slim and smart which is most of the times a short-term goal because in the longer run, they have to stick to the same diet and being persistent is hard. Although, new found energy could be used as a motivational force to keep following the healthy track rather going for ill or bad practices.
4. Immunity improves
Doing detox frees up the extra space a body cell has and was preoccupied because of the toxins. Thus, it helps each and every body organ to perform their functions right. Nutrients get absorbed really well, lymphatic system improves as if you are exercising along with the diet then lymphatic fluids circulation also improves, therefore, immunity boosts up.
5. Skin glow
Sauna practice during detox let body to sweat added up toxins, so you can expect smooth & glowing skin. Those having acne issues would see a clear difference but they might have to face worse reaction first as when the toxins release like itching symptoms or patches appear over the skin. Take it a sign that you are on the right detox plan.
Oxygen colon cleansing method of detox helps to clear up backed toxin/bacteria. When this toxin would be eliminated and your digestive system starts working fine then your breath would be refreshing too. But, be aware as your breath even gets worse during the process.
7. Clarity in Thinking
Use of meditation in detox recommended while toxins are getting out of your body. Detox program followers share that they are able to think clearer which makes a point since sugary drinks and fast food ultimately let us feel lethargic and we lose focus, here we are talking about of quality thinking.
Lists of Methods for Natural Detox
1. Oxygen Colon Detox
Lower digestive tract set the foundation for human’s well-being and shapes the immunity in the whole body.
Some of the natural ways include excessive intake of distilled water from 7-10 days (depends on your detox program), raw apple cider, aloe vera, probiotics and oxy-powder usage.
Why these food items for oxygen colon? Because they have compounds of magnesium and oxygenated magnesium along with citric acid & when they enter the digestive tract initiates disintegration and release oxygen which as a result liquefies compacted waste present inside the colon.
2. Liver Detox
Liver is the main body organ which breaks down the toxins; most importantly it produces bile (a detoxification agent) which wipes out the unnecessary fats of the food. When we overeat or consume pollutants from environment, our liver becomes loaded. In such scenario, it won’t perform effectively.
In such scenario, it won’t perform effectively.
Allicin and selenium produced through garlic aid the process of liver cleansing very well. Also, carcinogens of the liver can be flushed out by having freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.
3. Candida Detox
Body’s pH level determines the health of candida, when it’s upset, candida could be out of control. Basically, candida is a yeast infection and its symptoms are: Bad breath, hormonal disturbance, tongue with white coat, joint pain and weak immunity.
For candida natural detox, you have to avoid all sugary foods and drinks. Natural sweeteners, yeast food items, refined flour & wheat items must be avoided. Organic oregano oil and probiotic supplements like fresh yogurt are natural ways to treat.
Organic oregano oil and probiotic supplements like fresh yogurt are natural ways to treat.
4. Kidney Detox
As we all know, kidneys filters waste from our bloodstream, hence keeping kidneys in health means keeping your body in shape. Kidney toxins lead to stones, cysts, tumors and infections.
Drink lots of water, juices and herbal teas. Pure clean water is helpful but juices and teas do have sugar and caffeine which might be somewhat damaging to your kidney’s health. So avoid over-do.
Fruits filled with potassium like citric ones, lemons, and orange are beneficial. Also, kiwis, bananas, milk and yogurt are sources of potassium. Lemon detox for kidneys could be helpful in some cases.
5. Skin Detox
Skin is the largest body organ and stays in contact with environmental pollutants most of the times. Daily or seasonal skin cleansing/detox reduces acne and add glow to skin.
Brush up dry skin with natural bristle brush, blood circulation improves and lymphatic system can easily release toxins. Do it in circular motion and preferably in the morning.
Take Epsom salt bath 2-3 times in a week. Epsom salt could be mixed with baking soda, sesame oil, ginger, sea salt and apple cider vinegar.
The salt has the ability to clear skin pores from pollutants.
6. Juice/ Water Detox
One of the extreme detox methods if the detox program follower is consuming ‘only liquids’ either distilled water or juices. Such method isn’t advisable by health practitioners.
The detox program encircles fresh fruits and vegetables juices. Also, pureed soup, miso soup, smoothies, hemp, sesame seed oil, pumpkin seeds oil, flax & pure water.
7. Heavy Metal Detox
Aluminum, cadmium, mercury and lead accumulation inside the body for long term are dangerous for health.
If you are one of those suffering from heavy metal health concerns then you will experience: vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain and anemia.
Blood and urine tests are best for the diagnosis purpose.
For cure, consume vitamin C through oranges, lemons, or any citric fruit. Garlic is another best home remedy for excretion of toxic metal buildup.
Simple to Follow Diet Plan
RULE 1: First thing in the morning, instant ‘hydration’. Drink simple glass of water or add some lemon drops. Dandelion tea is also effective. Such practice will help in stimulating the bowels to throughout the body wastes.
RULE 2: 30 Minutes of Exercise. An outdoor exercise is preferable as it’ll allow fresh air to pass through breathing system and oxygen circulation would get better. Cycle ride, brisk walking, or a yoga session are some of the light and not-so-consuming exercises.
RULE 3: Brush up your body and take bath. Natural bristle long handle body brush would not only improve the blood and lymph flow but it opens up skin pores and speeds up the detoxification process.
RULE 4: Choose 3-4 fruits in the breakfast. Apples, papayas, pears, peaches, berries, melons, mango, and pineapples are some good fruit picks. Squeeze lemon juice, add chopped mint and add raw grated ginger for some ‘extra cleansing’.
RULE 5: Dark leafy greens for lunch meals. Try to add these 5-7 ingredients in different combinations into your lunch meals such as dark leafy greens like lettuce leaves, watercress, chopped herbs, cucumber, broccoli, kale, cabbage, celery, beetroot, onion, carrot, cauliflower, puy lentils, fennel, or any beans.
Cut and chop any of the given 4-5 veggies and have them raw but it’s suggested to steam lightly broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and cabbage.
Seasoning, garlic, herbs, cumin, coriander, fennel, turmeric are some of the good ingredients for adding flavor.
Add 150g wholegrain rice, quinoa, barley, millet, or any other wheat free grain into you meal either.
RULE 6: Fresh fruits, raw nuts between meals. If your sugar level drops too low then you can take few almonds, cashews to avoid overcome the situation. Plenty of water, herbal teas, and vegetable juices are also healthy go-tos.
RULE 7: Bedtime warm bath, go to bed by 10 pm. You are one of those having constipation or we can say IBS symptoms? Try having massage of cold pressed sesame oil and it must be organic. Lower bowel, circular clockwise movements in the evening after taking bath is helpful.
Best Detox Drinks for Body
Basic preparation steps are the same:
- Drop ingredients in the bottom of a pitcher or fruit infuser bottle.
- Cover with ice about 1/2 way through then fill to top with water. Place in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.
- You can refill the container 2-3 times before it begins to lose flavor.
Here’s the basic detox water recipe.
Some other useful detox water recipes are:
Apple Cinnamon Detox Water:
- 1 Apple thinly sliced, I like Fuji but pick your favorite. Cut away the seeds.
- 1 Cinnamon Stick. I don’t recommend using powdered cinnamon, it clogs the water.
Blueberry and Orange Detox Water:
- 2 Mandarin Oranges, cut into wedges
- Handful of blueberries
Watermelon and Strawberry Mint Detox Water:
- 4 cups watermelon in /2-inch cubes, lightly mashed
- 1/2 pint strawberries, sliced in half
- 6 sprigs mint (lightly crushed)
Metabolism Boosting Mango Ginger Water:
- 1 inch Ginger Root, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup Frozen Mango- fresh is fine too
Raspberry Orange Detox Water:
- 1 thinly sliced orange
- 1-pint raspberries (lightly crushed)
Lemon Berry Detox Water:
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 lemon, sliced
Strawberry, Mint, and Lemon Detox Drink:
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 15 strawberries quartered
- 5 mint leaves
Source: Lose Weight by Eating
Green smoothie for breakfast
Cucumber, avocado, baby spinach leaves, oats, banana are the key ingredients. For preparation, go to
For preparation, go to youtube video.
Natural Detox Recipes
1. Baked blackberry oatmeal
- Butter, for greasing pan
- 2 1/2 c. fresh blackberries
- 1 1/3 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger or cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1/2 c. pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 c. pecans or hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 c. sunflower seeds
- Use butter for greasing the pan. (Do preheat oven to 325F)
- At the bottom of the pan, add blackberries evenly.
- Take large bowl to mix ginger, baking powder, oats and salt and pour over blackberries.
- Whisk eggs, vanilla, milk in a bowl and then pour it over oats.
- Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts and maple syrup need to be mixed together, better to do it with your fingers because it would help in even coating. Sprinkle this mixture over the oatmeal.
- Bake this mixture till 1 hour until the mixture gets settled and the color becomes light brown.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup; ready for nutrient-rich breakfast.
2. Cherry Chia Seed Pudding
For the pudding
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup bing cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon SweetLeaf Stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- For the cashew cream
- 1/4 cup of cashews
- 1/4 cup bing cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon SweetLeaf Stevia
- In a blender, add cherries, stevia, vanilla, milk and cardamom until all mixes smooth. Chia seeds would be poured with cherry mixture, do whisk well. Let it rest for five minutes and again stir. Cover & cool off in refrigerate for around 3 hours or you can leave overnight.
- Cashews would be refrigerated (after soaking) for overnight too.
- Blend cherries for smooth puree, rinse soaked cashews and add into the blender of puree, stevia and vanilla would be added after for blending into this puree of smooth texture.
- Divide it into 4 servings and do stir the pudding before the serving.
3. Coconut lentil soup with lemongrass and ginger
- 2 cups red lentils (or yellow split peas), sorted and rinsed well
- 1 onion, diced
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth (can also use chicken broth or water), add less for a thicker soup
- 2 cups diced pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated (use a Microplane)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh garlic
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder (or to taste, some powders and pastes are spicier than others)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, fresh or frozen (or strips of lime zest)
- salt, to taste
- a little sugar
- fresh cilantro, garnish
- sliced green onions, garnish
- sliced green or red Thai chiles, garnish
- hot cooked rice, for serving (optional)
- Vegetable broth, onion and lentils to be laid in 4 quart pot. First simmer, then cover and cool till lentils soften i.e. for 15-20 minutes. Coconut milk, ginger, garlic, diced squash, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass paste would added after.
- Add salt to take and them simmer over low heat and cool till lentils soften completely and squash become tender. You can add a pinch of sugar.
- Serve and garnish as desired.
4. Grapefruit, avocado and shrimp salad
- 1 cup shrimp (frozen or thawed are both fine)
- 2 Tbsp chili oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 grapefruit, cubed
- 1 cup cooked rice, cold
- 1/4 cup balsamic reduction
- salad greens (optional)
- Cook shrimp in over medium heat in a saucepan in the chili oil until it becomes brown. Season them with salt and pepper after removing from the heat source.
- Pack ½ of cubed avocado in cylindrical cup bottom and cover it with ½ cup of rice.
- Invert them into the prepared plate having bed of greens, topped with grapefruit & shrimp layer then drizzle with balsamic dressing.
There is a saying ‘death begins in the colon’ and it’s quite right because that organ of the body holds waste products require to be removed.
Clogged waste slows down the functioning of the organs and would eventually stress them out.
Henceforth, waste must be excreted out one way or another. Ideally, it’s suggested to go through comprehensive detox program twice a year.